- Prepare your home for cold weather, insulate pipes and know how to turn off gas and water supplies as you may need to do so if you have a leak.
- Ensure your boiler and heating system is working properly and efficiently.
- Keep stocks of non perishable foods and bottle water.
- Ensure you have enough of any necessary medication should you be unable to leave you home for a prolonged period of time.
- Look after your neighbours.
- Tune in to local radio stations for the latest information about severe weather disruption.
BBC Essex: 103.5 7 & 95.3
Essex FM: 106.3 & 92.6
Out & About
Listen to travel advice – Don’t travel unless it’s necessary. If you do have to travel take precautions to ensure your safety.
- Take care, don’t rush and continually assess the surface that you are walking on, look out for patches of ice.
- Dress appropriately - wearing several layers helps insulate heat better than one thick layer, warm comfortable socks and shoes are advisable (particularly walking boots or non-slip shoes).
- If you do fall try to relax as much as possible and not tense up.
- Prepare your car; top up with antifreeze and check tyres are inflated appropriately and are in good condition.
- Check fuel/water/oil/brake fluid/screen-wash levels
- Ensure heater/lights/brakes/exhaust systems all function correctly
Public transport may be cancelled or delayed during severe weather, check with the service provider (for example Network Rail) before setting off.